02 November 2009

New Motivation

I'm not able to run due to possible shin splints, so I've been slacking off in the exercise department. However, I hope I've found some new motivation--two fitness challenges. The first is HFN Holiday Challenge from The Nest, which runs from November 1 until December 31 and has a point basis. The second challenge is the Holiday Health Nut Challenge, which is being run by Destination: Athlete from November 2 until December 28. For me, this is a weight loss challenge, similar to The Biggest Loser (my favorite show!). I am attempting to lose 12 pounds by the end of the challenge, drink 80 oz. of water a day, and keep a food journal. I'm hoping that these two challenges will help keep me accountable for the food I put in my mouth and provide motivation for going to the gym, or at least to do a workout video here in the apartment!

So, here are my check-ins for each challenge:

HFN Holiday Challenge:
  • drink enough water - 5pts
  • 30 minutes of incidental activity - 5pts
  • 3 meals a day - 5pts
  • wear sunscreen - 5pts
  • blog about how you feel - 5pts
  • get 6-9 hours of sleep - 5pts
  • eat home-made breakfast - 10pts
  • eat home-made dinner - 10pts
  • avoid alcohol - 10pts
  • drink only water for the day - 10pts

I need to find a Health & Fitness related book to read. Any suggestions? I'll need to make a stop at the public library or the school library.

Holiday Health Nut Challenge:

My beginning weight for this challenge is 142 pounds. I hope to make it to 130 by December 28, with a long-term goal of 120 pounds. Surprisingly enough, I actually did drink 80 oz. of water today. That sounds like so much water to me, that I didn't think I really accomplished it, but I did! For the food journal, here's what I ate today:

  • 2 graham cracker sheets spread with peanut butter (~1 tbps)
  • canned fruit (~1/2 cup)
  • 6 inch turkey sub on 9-grain honey oat with spinach, cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, and pickles
  • small box of Milk Duds
  • canned fruit (~1/4 cup)
  • mini snickers bar
  • 2.5 cornbread squares
  • 1/2 cup pork BBQ
  • a little more than 1/4 cup baked beans

My biggest problem was that I was starving when I got home from school, or else I wouldn't have eaten the extra canned fruit or the mini snickers bar. This actually sounded a lot worse in my head, but doesn't seem so bad written down, which may be due to crappy estimating (note to self: measure food from now on). If I can find a calorie estimator online, I'll post the tally later on.

The big thing I haven't done yet today is make it to the gym for a dedicated workout. I know these are crappy reasons, but my foot was really hurting, I have a rebound headache from the anti-inflammatory medicine the doctor has me on, and I'm tired. Maybe I'll play Wii for a little while. Does that count as a dedicated workout? Something tells me no.

1 comment:

  1. Well...if you do one of the Wii Fit games, yes it counts. :o) You're doing GREAT so far. Journalling is so hard for me!!

    ReplyDelete