14 June 2011

Cloth Diapering While Traveling

Two weeks ago, our little family of three took our first week-long trip away from home since Adelaide was born.  Every year, my grandparents rent a beach house off the coast of North Carolina and my dad's whole side of the family gets together for a week-long reunion of sorts.

The last time we took a trip, it was only over a weekend and we decided to switch to disposables since it was our first time away from home with Adelaide.  This time, I was determined to use my cloth diapers, especially since I knew the beach house had a washer and drier.
My diaper packing list:
Things went as well as I could have hoped, but there are a few things I want to keep in mind for next time:
  1. We need a different pail liner/wet bag for traveling.  The Blueberry pail liners we brought only have drawstring closures and didn't do a good job of containing the diaper stink problems we are having.  We'll be looking for one with a zippered closure and loop to hang on a doorknob.
  2. I need to figure out if there's a way to avoid bringing dirty diapers with us.  I'm not sure that's possible unless we use disposables the day before we leave, which I don't want to do.
  3. Be prepared for different washing conditions than we're used to at home.  The house we stayed in had extremely hard water, which meant that it took nearly all day to wash a load of diapers.
Has anyone else here traveled with cloth diapers?  Any suggestions for this new mama?

No comments:

Post a Comment