04 May 2010

Confirmation

Today I participated in a Graduate Student Boot Camp hosted by my university's library.  It was an intensive, productive, information-filled day.  Sessions covered Graduate School requirements for theses and dissertations, methods for searching article databases, RefWorks, writing center resources, plagiarism and copyright, and career center resources.

They also provided snacks and lunch...and I had a revelation.  I looked at the ingredients list of the granola bar they provided and new it provided high fructose corn syrup and other sugars, but I ate it anyways.  Who knows what the catered lunch (BBQ, vegetarian baked beans, hummus) really contained.  I should have skipped the meat and ate vegetarian, but I didn't.  I also drank sweet tea and ate two cookies.  The kicker was later that afternoon I was dying of thirst, and instead of making the effort to find a water fountain to refill my own water bottle, I was lazy and took one of the bottled waters (OMG!!) that was provided.  I hate the taste of bottled water; I always have.  And because it left a funny taste in my mouth, I ate two more cookies, which only made me thirsty again.  But I stopped the cycle there.

I'm not writing all of this because I want pity for my poor eating choices today.  The point is that this food made me fell "off", which just reinforced that I've been making good choices by eliminating high fructose corn syrup (and corn syrup), all-purpose flour, and other things I can't remember right now.  My body is adapting to real food!

This is a major step for me, and I refuse to beat myself up and apologize for my eating today.  Tomorrow is a new day and I will do better :)

No comments:

Post a Comment