19 September 2011

No 'poo

I've been thinking of trying this whole no 'poo (i.e., no shampoo) method for quite some time, but I've been too chicken to actually try it.  I'm afraid of the transition period and what it will do to my curly hair!  So I told myself I'd give it a try if my shampoo and conditioner ever ran out at the same time.  Since this pretty much never happens, I thought I had given myself an indefinite "out".  However, yesterday the inevitable happened.  I'm thinking about getting my hair cut on Thursday (can you tell I'm still procrastinating?) and then it will be experiment time!  Here's the plan:

  1. Have a jar of baking soda in the shower.  Combine baking soda with water to make a paste and massage into scalp.
  2. Rinse well.
  3. Make a 1:4 solution of apple cider vinegar : water in a spray bottle.  Spray on hair.
  4. Rinse with cold water.
We'll see how it goes.  Anyone else out there have any tips for me?

2 comments:

  1. I've been poo free for a few years. I keep my baking soda pre-mixed in water and then pour it on. It is chilly. :). But quicker than the paste. Once a week, I pour the acv on top of the baking soda for a deep cleanse.

    I use a spray bottle of lavender water for any frizzies during the day. Because I'm thrifty (lazy?), this same spray bottle works as a wet wipe solution on the go.

    The first time I went poo free, it took about 3weeks for my hair to "detox.". Old luck!!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been using baking soda for a pretty long time now. I shake mine up with water in a bottle and squirt it on. I've quit the ACV and just use Whole Foods brand conditioner instead. When that runs out maybe it'll be time to try some sort of oil, like olive oil instead. My hair needs moisture, though. That might be the most important part!

    ReplyDelete