26 May 2011

I'm Cleared!

Yesterday I had a postpartum visit to check my stitches, and received the green light to resume "normal" activities.  This is great because my ideal schedule includes 3.5 hours of exercise per week.  I just need to develop a plan.

I've thought about doing a workout DVD like 30 Day Shred or P90, both of which I already own.  Slim in 6 and 10 Pound Slimdown have also been suggested to me, but I'd have to purchase (or borrow) them.  The problem is that I'm pretty sure I won't be able to stick to it.  There's just not enough variety to motivate me for 1-3 months.  Maybe there's more variety available on streaming Netflix.

I used to consider myself a runner (maybe jogger is a better term) and I've thought about doing the Couch to 5k program.  I'm afraid this may be doing too much too fast, though, and might be better suited for when Adelaide is able to sit up by herself and I can use our jogging stroller.

On our walk yesterday, Spencer and I (and Adelaide) stopped by the rec center, which is similar to a YMCA.  The membership fees aren't that expensive and could probably be built into our budget.  They seem to have a variety of classes in addition to a swimming pool, cardio and weight machines, free weights, and basketball courts.  But I've had a gym membership before (just not to this gym) and don't know if I'd keep going.  I'll also have "free" access to the university gym once I'm registered for classes in the fall.

None of these ideas seems like the perfect plan, so I don't know what I'm going to do.  Maybe I just need a workout buddy to motivate me.  That worked in college.

Anyone local looking for a workout buddy or have any other ideas or suggestions?

2 comments: