From: Baking Illustrated
1/2 cup warm water (about 100 degrees)
2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
1 1/4 cup water, room temperature
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
4 cups (22 oz) bread flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
- Measure 1/2 cup warm water at about 100 degrees into a 2-cup measuring cup. Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let it stand until swollen, about 5 minutes. Add enough room-temperature water to equal 1 3/4 cups and then add the oil.
- The food processor is the easiest place to make pizza dough. Plse the four and salt to combine them. Then pour the liquid ingredients through the feed tube while continuing to pulse.
- Once the dough comes together, process it until it is smooth and elastic, about 30 seconds.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and shape it into a smooth, round ball.
- Place the kneaded dough in a deep oiled bowl and cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap.
- After the dough has double in size (about 2 hours), deflate it by pressing down on it with your fist. Divide into 4 equal portions and shape each into a smooth, round ball.
- Cover dough balls with a damp cloth and let relax for at least 10 minutes, but no longer than 30 minutes.
Adapted from: The Pampered Chef Soups, Stews & Chilis
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place dough cut-side down on baking stone and press lightly.
- Brush dough with olive oil. Bake 21-23 minutes or until golden brown.
- To serve, slice off top of each bread round. Carefully remove centers to form bowls. Place on plates and ladle soup into bowls.
These freeze really nicely. Wrap leftover bread bowls in aluminum foil and store in a plastic bag in the freezer. When ready to use, pop bread bowls, still in the aluminum foil, directly onto the middle shelf of the oven until warmed through.
Cream of Broccoli-Cheese Soup
From: Better Homes & Gardens The New Cookbook
4 cups fresh or frozen chopped brocoli
1 1/2 cups chicken broth or vegetable stock
1 tbsp butter or margerine
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk, half-and-half, or light cream
1/2 cup shredded American cheese
- In a large saucepan cook broccoli, covered, in a large amount of boiling water for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Set aside 1 cup cooked broccoli.
- In a food processor, combine the remaining broccoli and 3/4 cup of the broth. Cover and process about 1 minute or until smooth. Set aside.
- In same saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, seasoning, salt, and a dash of black pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more.
- Stir in the reserved cooked broccoli, shredded cheese, and remaining broth. Cook and stir until heated through. If necessary, stir in additional milk to reach desired consistency. If desired, season to taste with additional salt and black pepper.