17 February 2012

Lenten Discipline: Gluten- and Dairy-free diet

This Lent, Spencer and I have decided on an elimination diet.  We will be going gluten- and dairy-free for 40 days.  The main purpose is to test for gluten sensitivity and heal any digestive disorders we may have.  We are loosely following the "rules" of the GAPS diet and The UltraMind Solution (pdf links here and here) and are looking to eat real, whole foods instead of relying on gluten-free substitutes.  We've done a pretty good job eliminating processed foods from our diet, and we'd like to keep it that way.  To that end, we'd appreciate any recipes or meal suggestions you may have, especially for breakfast and lunch.

I recently ordered two books on following a raw foods diet.  I was hoping it would have some new and different ideas, since I know they follow a gluten- and dairy-free concept.  Unfortunately, 90% of the recipes require the use of a dehydrator, which I don't have.  I know that I can use my oven on a very low setting instead, but that would require the oven to be on for 8 hours at a time, and I'm just not willing to do that.  So frustrating!

Do you have a Lenten discipline?

No comments:

Post a Comment