11 December 2010

I'm alive!

I know it's been a long time since I posted, but I promise I'm alive!  A lot has happened since May.  First of all, I'm pregnant with our first child, due March 2011.  We are really excited, but have also been dealing with a lot of stress.  In August I took my comprehensive exams, but I failed 2 of them and it's taken a while to figure out the next course of action.  A few months later, Spencer lost his job.  Shortly thereafter, I was diagnosed with depression.  Oh, and we've moved!  Because of all this, I've decided to take next semester off from school to focus on myself.

This week my therapist gave me some homework.  Part of what's perpetuating my depression is the extremely high expectations I have of myself.  Each morning, he wants me to write down a list of things to accomplish that day.  My only goal is to complete those items.  I'm supposed to start with about four items and evaluate from there.  If I can't get four things done, the next day I'm only supposed to write down three things to do, etc.  Even if I only have one thing on my list for the day, if I accomplish it, I'm supposed to be proud of myself, and not dwell on what else I could have, should have, done that day.  That will be hard for me.

I'm going to try to post my lists here on my blog and comment on how I feel about my progress.  Feel free to play along!

No comments:

Post a Comment